VICTIMS OF POLICE MISCONDUCT
RECEIVE CASH SETTLEMENTS OR AWARDS
- Family of man who died after being beaten, pepper-sprayed settles lawsuit for $98,500
- 4 men wrongly convicted of double murder settle for $36 million
- Don't settle your suit too cheaply- hire a good attorney, and get the media involved
- Lengthy list of settlements and awards obtained by victims of police misconduct
- "In every year this decade except 1993, Detroit paid at least $8 million in jury awards, mediation verdicts and pretrial settlements involving the police"
- Survivors offered $5 million to drop suit against police for killing homeowner
- The money doesn't make up for the loss
"Her husband murdered and her life shattered, what Janyce Griswold wanted most was someone to say, "I'm sorry." After four years of court battles, she got her wish Friday, when the federal government settled her $5 million lawsuit that accused the FBI of negligence in the 1994 slaying of Dennis Griswold during a holdup at his Tacoma tavern."
The Seattle Times, 4-18-99, (Thanks to SH, one of our intrepid Washington operatives)